Planning & Zoning Commission
The Commission makes recommendations to the Board of Supervisors on rezoning, special use permit, military compatibility, and plan of development applications, amendments to the Zoning Ordinance, development master plans and comprehensive plans. The Commission may approve preliminary plats, grant requests for initiative or rezoning applications and accept status reports on Special Use Permits.
The Planning & Zoning Commission (P&Z)meets at 9:30 a.m. and meetings shall be held at least twice a month with the exception of months with scheduled ZIPPOR meetings (February, May, August and November).
Board of Supervisor's Auditorium
205 W Jefferson Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85003
The Zoning, Infrastructure, Policy, Procedure and Ordinance Review (ZIPPOR) Committeeshall be held once per quarter in February, May, August, and November.
Maricopa County Planning and Development Department
301 W Jefferson Street Suite 170
Phoenix, AZ 85003
Please note either meeting location, date or time can change according to room availability, quorum needs, or other logistic concerns. Please refer to the agenda for specific meeting information and location.
Listed here (if any)
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Annual Planning and Zoning and ZIPPOR Meeting Schedule
pens a New Window. Virtual Meeting Guidelines - Citizen Review & Participation
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
Appeal of Planning & Zoning Commission RecommendationAppeal Form Opens a New Window.
Chairman/Vice Chairman Information
The P&Z elects a chairman and vice-chairman who must be appointed from separate districts. The chairman runs public hearings according to a modified version of Robert’s Rules of Order. The vice-chairman will run the hearing in the chairman’s absence. If both the chairman and vice-chairman are absent, the P&Z will elect an acting chairman for the purpose of running the hearing.
|District 1||Jimmy Lindblom||01/06/2021 - 12/31/2024|
|District 2||Greg Arnett, Chair||01/01/2021 - 12/31/2024|
|District 2||Jay Swart - Vice-Chair||10/07/2020 - 12/31/2022|
|District 3||Kate Brophy McGee||02/10/2021 - 12/31/2024|
|District 3||Matt Gress||03/25/2020 - 12/31/2022|
|District 4||Lucas Scholsser||01/09/2019 - 12/31/2022|
|District 4||Erik Hernandez||01/27/2021 - 12/31/2024|
|District 5||Francisca Montoya||01/01/2021 - 12/31/2024|
|District 5||Kevin Danzeisen||01/13/2021 - 12/31/2022|
A.R.S. § 11-802:
- Except as provided in subsection E of this section, in the counties having 5 supervisorial districts, each county planning and zoning commission shall consist of 10 members who shall be qualified electors of the county (2 members shall be appointed from each supervisorial district by the supervisor from that district). Members shall be residents of the district from which they are appointed. Members of the commission shall serve without compensation except for reasonable travel expenses.
- The terms of the members of the commissions shall be for 4 years except for those initially appointed. Of those members initially appointed pursuant to subsection C of this section, 5 members shall be appointed to a 2 year term, and 4 members shall be appointed to a 4 year term. Of those members initially appointed pursuant to subsection D of this section, 5 members shall be appointed to a 2 year term, and 5 members shall be appointed to a 4 year term. Thereafter, each term shall be 4 years. If a vacancy occurs otherwise than by expiration of term, the vacancy shall be filled by appointment for the unexpired portion of the term. The board may remove members of the commission for cause.
- The county assessor, county engineer, county health officer and county attorney shall serve in an advisory capacity to the commission and to the boards of adjustment.
Duties & Powers
A.R.S. § 11-802:
- The commission shall:
- Elect a chairperson from among its members for a term of 1 year and those other officers as it determines.
- By resolution fix the time and place within the district of regular meetings, hold at least 1 regular meeting each month when there is new official business to transact and hold additional meetings as the chairperson or a majority of the commission deems necessary.
- Adopt rules for the transaction of business and keep a record of its resolutions, transactions, findings and determinations, which record shall be a public record and be open to public inspection.
- Transmit all of its recommendations, decisions, findings, reports and official actions, regardless of vote, to the board of supervisors.
- A majority of the commission constitutes a quorum for the transaction of business and a majority vote of the quorum is required for any official action.
A.R.S. § 11-802