Since 1965, the Maricopa County Office of the Public Defender has provided innovative and client-centered legal representation to those unable to afford the services of private attorneys. Our attorneys and support staff of over 400 individuals represent more than 35,000 cases each year, and our work reaches even more through our participation in outreach programs, restorative justice work, and community legal education.
We recognize the inherent dignity of each of our clients, and understand that an arrest and criminal charge alone often has devastating impacts on a person’s life. Because of this, our office embraces an integrated defense model that puts our clients’ needs at the center of all we do. When we receive a case our diverse staff of initial services specialists, investigators, law clerks, legal secretaries, mitigation specialists and paralegals work together with our attorneys to ensure our clients receive a zealous and rigorous defense. We also house several specialty areas to better serve clients who may need additional assistance because of the nature of their case or their particular background.
The mission of Office of the Public Defender is to provide quality legal representation to indigent individuals assigned to us by the court so that the fundamental legal rights of each member of the community are safeguarded.
Our office is dedicated to the basic American ideal that the quality of justice a person receives should never depend upon how much money he or she has. Our attorneys and staff strive to provide high quality legal representation to our clients, and believe that defending the rights of our clients protects the rights of all members of our community.
We are working:
- To protect the rights of our clients and guarantee that they receive equal protection under the law regardless of race, creed, national origin or socioeconomic status
- To obtain and promote dispositions that are effective in reducing recidivism, improving clients’ well-being and enhancing quality of life for all
- To ensure that all ethical, constitutional responsibilities, and mandates are fulfilled
- To enhance the professionalism and productivity of all staff
- To produce the most respected and well-trained attorneys in the criminal defense community
- To work in partnership with other agencies to improve access and develop rational justice system policies
- To achieve recognition as an effective and dynamic leader among organizations responsible for legal representation of indigent people
- To perform our obligations in a fiscally responsible manner
The Maricopa County Public Defender’s Office is committed to providing high-quality, client-centered legal representation. To protect the constitutional rights of our clients, we pledge to fight the injustice facing our clients and the communities we serve. These core values guide our work and hold us accountable:
- The client is the most important member of the defense team. We commit to listening to, working with, and communicating regularly with our clients.
- Every client deserves to be treated with dignity and respect, regardless of background or charge.
- We believe in inclusion and that every voice matters. Having, working with, and learning from diverse perspectives, experiences, backgrounds and talents allow us to provide the best representation for our clients.
Nearby Offices & Amenities
Our offices are conveniently located within walking distance of the Maricopa County government complex, and the County Superior Courts. The County Complex offers food services and an ATM.
Metered parking is available across the street from the entrance. The County also provides a free lot available during business hours which is located on Madison just west of 5th Avenue. Several private parking garages are also near the court complex a few blocks northeast of our building.
The downtown Phoenix area is served by the Phoenix Transit, Light Rail and downtown DASH bus services.